Monday, February 27, 2012

Howdy, Texas...Stats on Distracted Driving from AAA

"Multi-tasking is undoubtedly a regular activity for most people but it is critical that we remind ourselves of the most important task behind the wheel – driving safely," states the Triple A web site.

Triple A did a culture poll and found that even though 94% of drivers say they think distracted driving in dangerous and that 87% would support legislation to ban texting and driving, more than a third of those polled also admitted to distracted driving activity in the past month. My Daddy practically raised all three of us on the rule of "Do as I say and not as I do!" However, it's time for the hypocrisy to end.

I cannot change the world in a day, but I can change me. Let me tell you, I am just like everyone else and Pavlov's Dog. My phone sounded a text had arrived while I was driving this morning and with that "ble-ding!" I was salivating to check it. My brain screamed ignore it but still my head snapped in the direction of where my phone was buried in my handbag. I felt the itching in my fingers as I sat at a red light when the second "ble-ding!" reminded this dog to fetch. And then it struck me, I am not a dog. I don't fetch. I am a grown woman capable of self control. Nothing is so important that it won't wait the ten minutes for me to get to my office.

Join me today in making the promise to yourself, to your loved ones and to the drivers around you, "I will make my driving environment a distraction free zone for me, for the ones I love and for the drivers around me."

No comments:

Post a Comment